Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Opinel Knives

On Tue, 8 May 2018 09:35:39 +0100, Tim Lamb

In message , Huge
writes
On 2018-05-07, Tim Lamb wrote:

Huh! One determining factor seems to be a recognition of their inability
to map read well enough to follow a footpath. The multi-tool provides a
way forward without significant loss of face.

I've been carrying a Leatherman for nearly 30 years. I can map-read perfectly
well.

OK. I hope, faced with an agricultural barbed wire fence, you would have
the courtesy to accept that it was there for legitimate reasons and
choose an alternative route or climb over without damage.

Why would Huge / I consider an act of vandalism and potentially
trespass, just because we may carry the means to do both?

Sold off ex-railway land is an example here. The stretch bought by the
County Council is open for cyclists, walkers and horseriders. The
private stretch, bought by our then landlords, is levelled, fenced and
cropped. Roughly once a year (since 1977) rather than walk along the
by-pass verge, some misguided pedestrian will climb over the initial
post and rail fence (topped with barbed wire) and then cut their way out
to join a bridleway.

Ah, so you are comparing us with criminals or 'going equipped'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m