Posted to alt.windows7.general,uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

Roger Mills wrote:
If I log on to the NAS's web interface, it offers me 'Services' of
"Remote Access", "Seagate Media", "DLNA" and "iTunes". The first two of
these are no longer supported and the last two only work on the same LAN
as the NAS.

They "only work on the same LAN as the NAS." because your router
doesn't allow the ports used by them to/from the outside. So you
could open up those ports on the router and get remote access, however
that does have security implications.

I've no idea what OS the NAS uses - probably some flavour of Unix/Linux
- but it's pretty thoroughly locked down with no ready access to it. I
*can* FTP to the NAS but that doesn't seem to allow me to do much.

What doesn't FTP allow you to do that you want to do? You can get
'file explorer' like GUIs that use FTP.

--
Chris Green
ยท