Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Smelly Oil (Kerosene)

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Or because it's just been refilled possibly some spillage outside of the
tank.

+1

Sometimes you can get a lingering smell from outside of the filling
company's hose if it's got oil smeared along the length (eg because some oil
has spilled on it while it''s been wound up on the rell on the lorry) and
that oil then transfers to the ground that the pipe has laid on during
filling.

It doesn't take much oil to leave a very all-pervasive smell. I don't notice
it too much - it's not as bad as petrol, although being a heaier fraction it
doesn't evaporate as quickly) but my wife notices it. Even if I get a bit of
diesel on my hands when I'm filing up the car (despite wearing the plastic
gloves) my wife says she feels sick and makes me go wash my hands.