Posted to alt.windows7.general,uk.d-i-y

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

On 07/05/18 23:12, Roger Mills wrote:
Seagate provided a facility whereby you could log on at
access.seagate.com and access the files on your NAS. That may well have
employed some sort of dynamic DNS for those needing it - but that isn't
the issue. They have taken down their server, and withdrawn support for
the Tappin app on portable devices. They apologise for any inconvenience
caused(!) and assure me that my data is quite safe - but can only be
accessed from within my own network.

My router supports Game and Application Sharing - which permits me (for
example) to associate a PPTP server with my Seagate NAS so that - in
theory - anything coming in on port 1723 goes to the NAS. Problem is
that all such connects are refused!

If I log on to the NAS's web interface, it offers me 'Services' of
"Remote Access", "Seagate Media", "DLNA" and "iTunes". The first two of
these are no longer supported and the last two only work on the same LAN
as the NAS.

I've no idea what OS the NAS uses - probably some flavour of Unix/Linux
- but it's pretty thoroughly locked down with no ready access to it. I
*can* FTP to the NAS but that doesn't seem to allow me to do much.

Hmm. A pretty problem.

Obviously there is a way in, but its not well advertised.
It the tappin crap was supposed to work behind a firewall with no
especial configuration, that strongly implies that the NAS istself sets
up and maintains a permanent connection to some seagate cloud.

Bit like skype does

Now if that is the case you wont be able to use that partucular backdoor.

I would try scanning the NAS ports to see which are active.

My guess is that ssh might be open. If its bog standard linux on the
NAS. Try using PUTTY to connect to it. If that works you can use sftp
and its chums if you redirect port 22 to the NAS.

It is not beyond the bounds of reason either to set up port redirection
for SMB services on the router so you can actually mount the NAS across
the internet. TCP ports 139 and 445 and UDP ports 137 and 138 should be
redirected to the NAS box.

Obviously you wont be able to 'scan' for the NAS across the internet, so
you will have to know ip address and tell whatever ****e MS uses to
display shares *for that server*. Or better still use NET USE to mount
the device as a drive etc

It's not very secure though, but I myself have done this years ago as
proof of concept.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels