Posted to rec.woodworking
Perry Perry is offline

Default Hidden hinge problem

On 07-May-18 10:29 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/7/2018 8:33 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 12:10:23 AM UTC-5, Perry wrote:
I've got a box framed mirror mounted on the wall. Its about 14" wide by
60" tall.

I'd like to add some hinges along one side so instead of being hung on
hooks (like a picture) it can be swung open away from the wall.

The problem is that I don't want visible hinge pins.

This is the general arrangement: https://imgur.com/a/QXNkSdC

Is there a way to do this simply using an off the shelf hinge?

Thanks!

One other suggestion would be to use a piano hinge in a rabbit and
chamfer the edges of the mirror, and support frame,Â* to allow it to
swing.

Perry, perhaps the light came on slowly here.Â* Are you trying to create
a concealed space for something like, er, a gun(s)?Â* If you just want
access behind the mirror rather than having it swivel out so you can use
the mirror at different angles, look at some of the concealed firearm
storage sites for additional idea.Â* There are some wall units out there
that utilize drawer slides to create a hidden compartment accessed by
sliding the mirror or painting to either side.

Ha! not guns but close.

Here in Australia we don't really have much in the way of guns.

I want to create an easily accessible storage spot to place a few bits
of keepsakes, jewellery and perhaps a tablet computer.

In my case slides wont work as Im working with an existing mirror+frame
assembly.

I'll check out the concealed gun storage idea. That sounds promising.