Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Opinel Knives

On Tue, 8 May 2018 12:58:13 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

Huge wrote:

snip

I've been carrying a Leatherman for nearly 30 years. I can map-read perfectly
well.

I have been carrying a pocket knife for over 60 years including to
school, I used to carve ducks from balsa with a razor blade under the
desk at school,

;-)

I have never killed anyone.

Good to know. ;-)

What we are actually talking about here isn't knives or even guns it's
the people holding them and their reason / justification so to do.

So it's basically down (IMHO and to some degree) down to one being a
'Warm and fuzzy' (who wouldn't typically hurt anyone, possibly only in
self defence) or a 'Cold and prickly' would wouldn't care if they hurt
someone (even if they didn't have to) as long as they got what they
wanted.

Isn't that why soldiers have their 'Warm and fuzzy' drilled out of
them but many still suffer later with the likes of PCSD? Isn't a
reason many (young especially) knife carriers give is that it's 'kill
or be killed' (as an innocent victim)?

I think a lot of is down to respect ... the lost of respect for those
they should be respecting (their parents, the Police, fellow citizens)
and an ill founded sense of respect for things that are bogus (like
their postcode or their 'right' to supply drugs in that area etc).

Cheers, T i m