Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Opinel Knives

On Mon, 7 May 2018 17:45:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 May 2018 00:31:44 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

The idea of carrying around a multi-tool at all times just in case it
might be needed seems odd to me.

After all, Mother State will look after you at all times, right?

Are you ****ed again?

And
indeed, once everything is owned and controlled by the State, you
won't need any tools, because everything will be perfect.

Try reading what you've written when sober and see if it still makes sense
to you. If it does seek treatment.

I just find it very funny some on here won't even leave the house without
taking things for every eventuality with them.

No-one ever mentioned being prepared for every eventuality. But being trivially easily prepared for some common situations seems sensible enough.

Certainly to those of us with many many years experience of relying
(in many cases) on such. eg, a 'number of times' the fact that I had
*MY* multitool on *ME* has saved the day. From replacing the clutch
cable on the Sierra Estate at the side of the road to removing some
swarf from the float valve on my Bedford CF campervan. I had a
reasonable set of tools on the van, including a socket set and a range
of ring and open ended spanners but not the right size open ender to
undo the fuel pipe union or a screwdriver short enough to undo the
float bowl screws themselves (tight under the bulkhead). The
Leatherman coped with both and 10 minutes later we were on our way.
Yes I could have called the AA but this was before I had a mobile
phone, we were on a hard shoulder of a dual carriageway and I had the
means and ability to sort it out myself. Leatherman Multitools aren't
cheap so am I expected to keep one in / on every vehicle I own and
every one I travel in? Similar situation with every house I visit
where they don't have tools but something needs fixing?

It's no longer legal though.

It isn't? Even if it's a 'permitted' daily carry?

Huge does have a point this time.

That's the thing. Pistols were banned from private ownership in spite
of few legally held guns ever being involved in crime. Even though
they are illegal it doesn't seem to stop people using them to shoot
other people in our cities (often in broad daylight), just as driving
without all the proper paperwork or dealing drugs is pretty common.
;-(

As long as people want to hurt / rob other people the criminals will
find a way and it will be completely irrelevant what 'laws' they put
in place to try to prevent that. I'm not saying we shouldn't do
anything, it's just what we do shouldn't also impact the everyday law
abiding citizen.

Start arresting every reasonable and law abiding person for carrying a
'permitted' pocket knife or multitool just because a minority use
'knives' (and rarely pocket knives or Multitools) for crime against
the person and there simply wouldn't be enough prison places
available.

The only way to prevent such crime is to have metal detectors and
security on every house door and in the middle of every street, and
forcing everyone though them (and searching every car) as mentioned,
as a Nanny State.

Would even 'life' or the death penalty stop many do you think (before
they are caught I mean). ;-)

Cheers, T i m