Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood expansion

On 07/05/18 21:10, Fredxx wrote:
On 07/05/2018 20:56, wrote:
On Monday, 7 May 2018 20:31:22 UTC+1, Tricky DickyÂ* wrote:

I have just installed a 1.4m X 150mm X 50mm spruce beam between the
garage and house. At present it is a good interference fit but I am
a little worried when it gets saturated it might expand and put
pressure on the brickwork. Is there any place I might find the
information?

what information? It expands sideways but not lengthways.

Interesting assertion. I was specifically told to avoid oak as it would
shrink lengthways and pull out any plugged screws and to use larch (I
think).

All wood moves in all directions, but not the same in every direction

"Saki"