Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Opinel Knives

On Mon, 07 May 2018 15:41:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
At all times? Even when just going to post a letter?

Would you take your mobile phone with you when posting a letter ... or
a torch if it might get dark whilst you were out or there might be
some hazards along the way?

I don't take my phone if only going out for a few minutes.

Ok, I would say most do.

And round here
the dark doesn't comes as a surprise.

But the duration you are out could be (again, or can be for many).

And we also have that unusual thing
called street lighting.

So do we, but many don't or it goes off at midnight.

The point being that people often carry tools, even though they aren't
regularly used to makes even more sense when they are.

You may not have the need to 'daily carry' say a Multitool or a pocket
knife but others do.

Daughter and I were walking along the towpath recently when we came
across a lady who was pumping up her rear tyre. I asked if she was ok
and initially she said she was but then conceded she'd got a puncture.
I asked if she had a puncture repair outfit and she said they she knew
she should but she didn't. Long short, we offered to put her bike in
the car and run her the few miles home and she accepted.

In contrast to your question about why anyone would want to carry say
a multi tool, I question why anyone out on a bicycle *wouldn't* carry
the means to at least repair (or deal with, eg a spare tube) a
puncture?

Now, if she didn't know *how* to fix a puncture then that might
explain why she didn't carry the means to do so herself, but someone
else could use them for her, or she could help someone else (even if
only supplying the means).

Many-a-time I have been able to help myself, my family, friends or
even complete strangers *because* I carry my multitool with me always.

It's just like carrying a smart phone means I don't typically need to
also carry a camera (/magnifier), torch or PC and I probably use it
more for the first two than I do as a phone. ;-)

Cheers, T i m