Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hidden hinge problem

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 1:10:23 AM UTC-4, Perry wrote:
I've got a box framed mirror mounted on the wall. Its about 14" wide by
60" tall.

I'd like to add some hinges along one side so instead of being hung on
hooks (like a picture) it can be swung open away from the wall.

The problem is that I don't want visible hinge pins.

This is the general arrangement: https://imgur.com/a/QXNkSdC

Is there a way to do this simply using an off the shelf hinge?

Thanks!

If you were willing to add a "cross piece" on the top and bottom, you could use pins as your
"hinges".

Attach the bottom board to the wall with the pin (and a thin bushing) installed. Slide the hole in
mirror frame over the pin. Insert a pin the top of the mirror frame. (add thin bushing) Slide the
hole in the upper board over the pin and then attach it to the wall.

A bullet catch opposite the bottom hinge could be used to keep it closed and parallel to the
wall. (You'll need room for the frame to swing, so you'll need gap. You'll want to make that gap
even on both sides) Chamfering the back edge on the pin side would lessen the required gap.

You could even frame the sides of the unit so that any gap is hidden.