Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rickbeausoleil@gmail.com is offline

Default Wax over stain on oak?

Hi Colin one of my fav. go to Old chool finishes is Beeswax.
Get a block of Beeswax at a True Value store, Woodworkers Warehouse or wherever you can find it . Test it with your fingernail the harder the better ..
Use an old metal food grater to flake it. You may want to save it for this exclusive purpose and buy a newer one for the kitchen. Then get an old saucepan or pot you will forever use for this purpose and put in the beeswax flakes. Next get a larger saucepan or pot, that the smaller pan will comfortably fit into with space around for water.
Put the wax saucepan into the larger one and add enough water in until the smaller one just starts to Float. now you have a double boiler.
Make sure You have a good cover that will fit the wax saucepan or pot.
Next add a small amount of turpentine into the pan with the wax flakes.
Some folks substitute Mineral oil instead. This is also good but not as hard of a finish and is more sticky. However Bees Wax & Mineral Oil is a great food grade combo for cutting boards, children's toys and Butcher Blocks.
Back to the turpentine Mix or mineral oil heating process.
Turn up the heat to low preferably electric burner under the double boiler
Don't walk away too far because You want to avoid Burning or flash point, ignition. Stir with an old spoon or I prefer a wooden paint stirrer, Keep mixing until its one consistency, Keep the cover handy especially with gas stoves to quickly snuff out any flame if it catches. This has never happened to me but it can. I hear if most of the water has boiled away and the temperature rises to the flashpoint. So make sure you add water to the water pan carefully and not into the wax ,because the wax will explode on you. You do not run out of water then your temperature will not get any higher than 212 deg F. Probably the safest place for this is outside on a barbeque grill rather than the kitchen range. I have a cheap electric hotplate in my shop for it.
O.k. when this stuff is pourable pour it into a good water tight tin of appropriate size for the volume of your batch. Don't get any of this hot stuff on your skin, or you will surely blister it with 1st. or 2nd. degree burns..
Option 1 Let it cool it will become the consistency of butchers wax.
Option 2 leave it in the hot pot and while it is liquid brush the stuff on your wood project Be cautious to protect your skin and eyes in case of a splash. This hot process penetrates The wood fibers better than the cold process. With either process be sure to wipe off any excess after a few minutes. let dry and rub it out.
This is a repairable finish although it will not remove a deep scratch if you get one an application of the same mix on the scratch will blend it in like it was there before the finish.
I know this has been a long drawn out instruction but do not ignore the safety aspects. You will have a nice alternative finish at Your disposal.
Also realize Minwax oil and other stains have Tung oil and petroleum solvents which are poison so don't use it in conjunction with the food grade or toy projects.

Have fun finishing Old school
Rick B.