View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Anybody here know BLDC motors well?

I have played around with these motors making drones from scratch. You can't just buy a motor and ESC connect them together and have it run. The input to the ECS is a pulse that varies in width for the desired speed of the motor. the direction of spin is controlled by how the 3 wires to the motor are connected (reverse any 2 and the motor spins in the opposite diredtion).. I have run these motors without the cpu controller that makes a drone fly but you need 2 things. A wireless control transmitter that usually has joy sticks to control the speed and direction of the drone (Usually $50 on up). A receiver that can be directly connected to the input side of the ESC to supply the appropriate pulse to the ESC (about $15). The ESC supplies the 5v back to the receiver so no extra power supply is needed other that the high current one used to power the ESC itself.

There are probably controllers that can be used with these BL motors directly but I have not researched these. Since the price of a wireless controller/receiver pair is so low I doubt that a dedicated controller would be worth the cost. If you were an electronics hobbyist you could build a controller that would supply the correct pulse to the ESC.

Hope this helps.

....bob