Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Hidden hinge problem

On 5/7/2018 7:58 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 07:14:36 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/7/2018 12:10 AM, Perry wrote:
I've got a box framed mirror mounted on the wall. Its about 14" wide by
60" tall.
I'd like to add some hinges along one side so instead of being hung on
hooks (like a picture) it can be swung open away from the wall.
The problem is that I don't want visible hinge pins.
This is the general arrangement: https://imgur.com/a/QXNkSdC
Is there a way to do this simply using an off the shelf hinge?
Thanks!

Sure is. This is what I would use.

https://www.soss.com/

I was going to suggest these also - but thought they might
require a a thicker "door" material ... his mirror box edge
looks to be only 3/4 ? or less ?

He could get by with multiple (as in 4 or 6) hinges (depending on the
weight of the mirror) in 3/4" material. Think that the largest he could
go with 3/4" would a a 2-3/8ths" Soss. I suspect that if he used those,
he could probably do it with four hinges. I've used Soss in the past
and they are pretty substantial. It would also help if those
rails/stiles were of hardwood vs. pine or. . .

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41241,62129

Also - they would need to be mortised into the wall - hopefully at a
stud .. hollow wall anchors would be awkward.
John T.

True, but Soss was the only solution that came to mind. If it was my
project, I would just add a wall frame or split the side and top rails
and stiles so that I could mortise those hinges AND secure it to the
wall with more conventional fasteners.

AFAIK, the only other solution (provided he has mounted the mirror to a
wooden panel, would be a Euro hinge of some sort. IOW make the whole
thing into a shallow cabinet with the mirror being the door.