Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Opinel Knives

On Sun, 6 May 2018 19:25:32 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:

TimW wrote:

I have an idea that folding knives with locking handles are
illegal

I'd be very, very surprised if that were so.

Prepare to be surprised ...

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

So for those of us who regularly carry a 'pen / pocket-knife' or
multitool with a non-locking sub 3" blade ('in public', because we
are often in situations when not in our homes or cars when we might /
would need one, just as we might a phone, torch or money etc), the
emphasis is the second half of this para, 'unless' onwards?:

"carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding
blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less"

As an aside, I think the law looks for 'sharps or points', as might
airlines and if my 88 year old Mum can have her small sewing scissors
confiscated before boarding a flight (or suggestions of people having
tweezers confiscated pre a flight), what of a fine screwdriver or awl
on a multitool?

'No sharps, no points' ... what about 'needle-nose pliers' as they
sound (and often can be) pointy, as can a pencil?

It's like dogs ... lots of people regularly mix in public with dogs
that *could* be pretty dangerous (to a human) but they typically
aren't, because they haven't been trained to be and it isn't in their
temperament. That is in contrast to all those to 'use' a dog for
status or intentionally as a weapon.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I heard of g a shop-keeper who had a knife pulled on him and he
said to the lad ... "I hope you are good with that because if you
aren't I'm going to take it off you a stick it up your ar$e".
(Apparently) the lad look confused for a second and then walked out.
;-)