Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Anyone here know about BLDC motors?

wrote:

I want to use a hobby BLDC motor to power a compact high speed
spindle to be used for engraving and the like. Mainly because they are
so compact for the power and speed. I cannot find, for a price I can
justify, a 24,000 to 40,000 RPM spindle that will fit in the space I
want to put it.

These motors generally use 3-phase variable-frequency variable-voltage
power. If they are for hobby use, then generally there ought to be a
recommended driver for the motor. The electric model airplane crown runs
these things at insane RPM. So, there must be info on doing that.

I make both brush and brushless motor drives, I don't recommend hacking into
one unless you have extensive electronics experience. There are a LOT off
issues involved in upgrading one of these.

Jon