Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opinel Knives

On 06/05/2018 20:44, wrote:
On Sunday, 6 May 2018 20:05:34 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2018 20:00:58 +0100, newshound wrote:
On 06/05/2018 19:55, Steve Walker wrote:
On 06/05/2018 19:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
TimW wrote:

I have an idea that folding knives with locking handles are
illegal
I'd be very, very surprised if that were so.

Prepare to be surprised ...

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Yes, apparently, according to minutes from the meetings that took place
to prepare this legislation, it was made clear that the intention was to
not make locking knives illegal, as it was considered a safety feature
to prevent work knives suddenly folding in use. Somehow that was omitted
and they have never gone back to change the law.

SteveW

Quite apart from my much loved ancient Opinel, I still have a couple of
"farmers' knives" from Countrywide which are now illegal, not to mention
my really useful Leatherman Crunch (AKA folding "mole wrench") and
another standard Leatherman with screwdriver bits which lives in the
Honda (on the so far entirely justified assumption that this needs no
other tools, apart from wheel brace and jack).

One can only assume the police are sensible enough to use discretion when applying ****ed up laws. And that judges would throw out any case involving such nonsense.

I see you've not been in such a situation.

I've certainly read of a case where a man who used a locking multi-tool
as part of his business was taken to court for possessing it (police
just happened to spot it). He presented the record of the minutes from
the implementation of this law as part of his defence. The judge, agreed
that it was harsh, but that the law was clear and found him guilty.
Because the man worked in an industry with enchanced checks, he lost the
business he ran and his entire livelihood.

SteveW