Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Voltage optimisers

On Sat, 05 May 2018 09:38:32 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 05/05/2018 09:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW has brought this to us :
Lowering the incoming voltage will not increase the current on
resistive loads.

True, but it will for all of the none resistive loads.

I would say that the resistive loads are the ones that use the most
power. So hair driers, cookers, kettles, immersion heaters etc.

I only fitted the thing because the customer wanted it. I am happy with
my 253V supply:-)

I'm not happy with my 245 to 256V supply. I use a 1kW 1500VA UPS for my computer, so when I get 1 or 2 second brownouts, it doesn't crash and corrupt the disk. When I lost quite a few LED bulbs in a short time, I tried running the lighting circuit from it. It has a built in automatic voltage regulator (it changes the tappings itself). The bulbs last about 4 times longer.

--
I wouldn't need to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their stupidity.