Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucas control box problem?

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 23:27:57 UTC+1, Marland wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 5 May 2018 15:00:38 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:

I was told do that by a work colleague who had been in the submarine
service in WW2 in an engineering rank. Only did it once with a battery
on my Riley1.5 ,sometime around 1974. It did fix it for a while but
wether it will still work on modern batteries which seem to have the
plates much closer together I haven€˜t tried.

Personally, I doubt it. Such a cheap and easy fix would be common
knowledge. Probably from the days when the separators were made of plywood.

It's been known a long time, but most people are not suitable for the
task due to the tipping about of acid. Nothing about modern batteries prevents it working.

A lot of modern batteries,and l think the op has said his is are described
as sealed.
They dont have nice threaded filler caps easily accessible, what filling
caps there are need a cover prised off to reach and in doing so the
integrity of that cover is destroyed and with it the mechanism for holding
the caps in place as they are not always threaded.
So you need to bodge up a way to fix it all back together again and not
leak in use.
May be worth doing if you are stuck in some remote place in Africa and have
no alternative but hardly worth the effort where you can purchase a battery
for the price of few pints and a couple of posh burgers down the pub.

GH

'Sealed' lead acid batteries are never sealed. How exactly are they going to leak when they're open *at the top* just like lead acids have always been?

NT