Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix loose patio bricks?

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 22:14:39 UTC+1, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm close to clueless about DIY stuff involving cement, so I'd much
appreciate advice please.

The outer edge of bricks of my garden patio are falling away, as you see
from my illustration.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3ktr0m5d9...cks-2.jpg?dl=0

I've bought a 20 kg bag of ready mixed cement. But I'm not sure how best
to proceed after removing the dozen or so bricks. I assume I should just
even out the earth and lay cement over it, before replacing the bricks
on top. But roughly what depth of cement - 2 inches or so? And then just
press each brick down until its top is level with the intact bricks?
Presumably I should also slap some mortar on the sides of the bricks
before placing them?

Or should I first pack the strip of earth with smallish stones, gravel
or sand, instead of just laying the mortar directly over earth?

Although it's over 15 years old, I'm puzzled how it got to this state,
as I'd assume the builder laid a foundation under ALL the bricks,
including these at the edges. Maybe years of gardening has been a
factor...

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If they're only bedded onto earth, you can simply put a bit more earth down there, whack it down to compact & place the bricks back on top of it. That should last you another 15 years.

The other way is to whack/compact the earth, put a couple of inches of cement/sand mix down, lay the bricks on it, wiggle them into place & trowel a smooth sloped outer edge to the mortar. Leave it all to set undisturbed for several days - it will have zero strength until day 4. Then fill the gaps between the bricks with a mix of cement & kiln dried sand, just brushing it in gently. Yes it does need to be dried sand.

TBH since its lasted ok on earth I'd probably just do the earth option.

NT