Posted to rec.woodworking
Colin Campbell Colin Campbell is offline

Default Wax over stain on oak?

I've just applied a second coat of Minwax Golden Oak stain on new red
oak, and I'm delighted with the results. In order to protect the finish,
does the assembled wisdom suggest a rub down with something like paste
wax, or should I go to a polyurethane coating? The piece is an entry
table, my major project in my 3rd year apprentice program, and the top is
a cast concrete slab with a line drawing of a carpenter's arms running a
plane. My tastes, I freely confess, run to the classic, old fashioned,
and some might say antiquated. The wax would be closer to my taste, but
perhaps the poly is better.

Cheers, and advTHANKSance
Colin