Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Centrak Ontario Wind Stoem

We had a DANDY windstorm yesterday that did some pretty extensive
damage up here in Ontario. Official wind speeds were recorded as
122kph at CYKF while unnoficial windspeeds of about 140kph were
reported in NorthWest Waterloo.
Highest wind speeds on record here outside od a few tornados.

Several ice storms over the last jew years has already thinned the
canopy considerably, and since there were no leaves on the trees tree
damage was a lot less than expected although several large evergreens
came down locally.

I escaped damage except for my gas baebeque being blown over breaking
off a hinge pin (simple repair - drikked ans inserted a 3/16 inch pop
rivet to replacethe pin) but several neighbours did not get away as
lucky., Several roofs sustained significant damage, and the neighbour
across the strrt is on a cruise to europe, leaving me to care for the
house while he is gone. The house last 5 patches of shingles. I
managed to find a pack of shingles of the right colour before the
local Hiome Despot was sold out - but they were the new Metric sized
shingles which are smaller than what was on the roof, so it took a bit
of "creative bodging" to get a solid good-looking patch job done.

Several hours of work up on the roof and under $50 in materials, and
if you don't know where to look the job is pretty well invbisible
from the street.

SHMBO says it's time to start to think about selling the house and
simplifying our lives. The neighbour's house is just a spkit level Our
two story is a LOT more difficult to fix the roof on - - -