Posted to uk.d-i-y
Oliver[_3_] Oliver[_3_] is offline

Default Hearing Aids

Sorry, Brian, but that is a load of bollix! The NHS hearing aids are
very good quality. They are "proper digitally tailored ones" too. They
don't do any other sort. And they are free, so far as I know in all
health areas, for those who really need them. Different authorities have
different arrangements but the principles should be the same. In some
areas, Specsavers can dispense NHS hearing aids - you can usually check
on the Specsavers website. Not all NHS areas supply in-the-ear models.

I've had NHS hearing aids. They were good but I didn't like them over my
ears because I wear spectacles and the combination of the two gadgets
felt "clunky". So I went to Specsavers and paid £1100 for in-the-ear
ones. For that, I got the hear aids, repairs for a year and hearing
tests and batteries for four years. The audiologists I saw at Specsavers
advised me not to spend more that that - pay more and just get gimmiky
add-ons like remote control and linking with iphones etc.

I've had excellent service from Specsavers - but I had very very good
service - and hearing aids - from the NHS - and completely free.

And as some others have said, first port of call if anyone has hearing
problems is G.P.

Oliver

On 02/05/2018 15:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
The NHS ones are pretty basic and you need to change the batteries very
often according to friends of mine. If you want proper digitally tailored
ones than the price is almost anything you can think of. Like you i don't
know why, as the tech is not new and in my view its another thing like
glasses frames disability aids etc, that cost twice as much plus what you
can get away with, using the small market excuse for the profit made.

Brian

--
Oliver