Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andy Burns
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

the speedo and rev needles do a precise 'sweep' as part of the lamp
check sequence when turning the ignition on.

When looking for a new car 18 months ago, I rejected one model
precisely because it does that.

What's wrong with it? can be turned off by OBD-II

Because it's ****in' irritating and smacks of oh look what we can do
aren't we clever.

But it‘s harmless.

But it wasn't just that. It was also that all the heater controls were
on the touch display. So you're driving along concentrating on the
road, and can't adjust the heating without taking your gaze *off* the
road.

Now there I agree with you. Touch screens for basic heat & ventilation
controls are a truly terrible and dangerous idea.

A number of years ago, the BBC built Monitoring & Information Centre which
was all computer controlled - including the "open front door" instruction.
If the computer was displaying a lengthy incoming message the operator
couldn't open the door to people outside (probably standing in the rain).
By the time I saw the place an "open door" button had been added to the
desk

Hopefully they‘ll be banned when people come to realise that they‘re more
dangerous than mobile phones.

Tim

--
Pl