Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Voltage optimisers

On Sat, 5 May 2018 09:20:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

That was what I thought. Do people not learn this simple fact at school any
moor, or could I go into business selling perpetual motion machines?

When I was regularly running my electric car (from ~30 years ago now),
if you got into conversation with people about it (generally men) it
surprised me how many basically tried to suggest I could make use of
perpetual motion.

Anything from having a dynamo rubbing on a tyre to towing a dynamo
trailer to a wind turbine sticking out of the top.

Similar with running an electric boat and then 'having a paddle wheel
hanging out the side connected to a dynamo ...'?

All of these would have been ruled out in an instant if they had even
the most basic understanding of energy, energy transfer and
conservation.

Also the way the electrical energy was used is a factor. My EV was
only 48V and to move any conventional 4 seater vehicle through the air
and along the road (on the flat) at say 30mph would take quite a bit
of energy. I think my car was pulling something like 200A in those
circumstances and so the interconnecting cables had to be pretty big
(and therefore also heavy).

Cheers, T i m