Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucas control box problem?

On 04/05/18 14:04, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Friday, 4 May 2018 10:05:12 UTC+1, GraemeÂ* wrote:

The battery takes a charge, but it must be the battery not holding a
charge.Â* New battery time :-(

that or fix it. Self discharge can be caused by shed lead accumulating
at the bottom of the cells. Tip acid out, rinse repeatedly with
distilled water, return acid. Obviously the acid can eat you so
various cautions apply.

That all sounds a little scary!Â* Straying into chain saw and angle
grinder territory :-)

Meanwhile, been for a good run (25 miles), and now disconnected the
earth lead.Â* Will leave for minimum 24 hours, then try starting, and if
battery not up to the job, I'll know for sure.

IIRC batteries can develop plate -to - plate 'whiskers' which short it
internally

Apocryphal tales of banging mega amps through to get rid of em.

BUt frankly a battery is not that expensive and for daily motoring why
take the risk?

Get a new one

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal