Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucas control box problem?

On 04/05/18 10:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

One fuse each for ignition controlled 'accessories' and always live ones.
With provision for two spare fuses in the unit. Take one of those spares
and push it between the two fuses - it fitted nicely - and on comes the
ignition, with no key. Push or pull the starter switch or relay and the
engine starts and you're off. ;-)

I didn't know that!Â* Will try :-)

In the meantime, back to square one.Â* Yesterday, I removed the battery
and trickle charged overnight.Â* Put it in the car this morning, and
tried an ammeter and a bulb between the battery terminal and earth
strap.Â* Nothing.Â* Tried again with door open (and therefore courtesy
light) and the ammeter twitched just enough to show current flowing.
Shut the door again, and no twitching, so it isn't the courtesy light
switches, or, presumably, anything else causing a short.Â* Tried the same
test using a small 12v bulb, as mentioned by Harry.Â* With the door open,
the test bulb lit, but not with the door closed, proving (?) that, with
the ignition off and nothing else on, no current is flowing.

The battery takes a charge, but it must be the battery not holding a
charge.Â* New battery time :-(

Yup.

Twas on a cold winters day that my car simply wouldnt start. It had been
totally fine for three years since I biught it.

I installed a new battery, and it has been fine ever since

Sometimes batteries go suddenly and with absolutely no warning whatsoever.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman