Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How Do I Find Digital TV Channel Numbers

On Thu, 3 May 2018 16:37:22 +0000 (UTC), root
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2018 02:49:53 +0000 (UTC), root
wrote:

For my area (Los Angeles) I can find a list of HDTV channels he
https://pastebin.com/hX3dA3t1

List of television stations in California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_California

Thanks for responding Jeff, but as I said in my original post, I
need the "Channel" numbers for each station.

The Wikipedia URL has the channels. However, to get the sub-channels,
you have to fish them out of the "Notes" column. Unless some station
gets creative, the sub-channel numbers should be the same on the RF
channel and on any translator. Also, to the best of my understanding,
if a station is capable of transmitting DTV using ATSC encoding, it is
also capable of transmitting HDTV (usually in the form of MPEG-4 AVC.
It may choose not to do so for some reason, but in theory, all DTV
stations can belch HDTV.

FYI, these are used to schedule recording of OTA programs using the
PVR software I posted some time ago in alt.os.linux.slackware.
That software turns a hdhomerun (under $100) device into a cable
cutting video recorder.

Most metro areas in the US has some video fanatic that maintains a
current and up to date directory of what the various TV stations are
doing. With spectrum reallocation and incentive auctions, such a list
is needed unless you want to scan for changes regularly. No clue who
does that for Smog Angeles.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D