Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default The 14,500 people over 100 don't have asthma

On 03/05/2018 12:53, Andrew wrote:
On 03/05/2018 12:20, Nightjar wrote:

I remember this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...on-in-pictures

That was real air pollution. The air was even yellow indoors.

That was caused by freak weather. A blocking high pressure over London
at a time when all our quality coal was going for export while we were
broke after WW2.

For domestic use, we were using all the cheap, dirty nasty stuff at
a time when coal was the standard way to heat buildings. The smoke
got stuck under a layer of air that forced all the nasty stuff to
end up at ground level.

Which made it the worst smog we had, but it was far from the only one.
Most winters would have a period when you could see and taste the air.

Colin Bignell