Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default curtains with PVCu windows

On 02/05/2018 21:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 02/05/2018 20:00, Andrew wrote:
On 02/05/2018 13:28, sm_jamieson wrote:
My curtain rails are all fixed to the wooden top of the window
frames. If I replace the windows with PVCu, what is the best way to
fix the curtain rails ?
I know you can screw into PVCu, but the screws tend to work loose
over time.
A neighbour had the same issue and I did a quick fix for him putting
battens on the ceiling, but it was only a temporary bodge - he
probably kept it though !
Thanks,
Simon.

Fit a batten along the top of gthe wall above the window and fit
your curtain tracks to that, or the 'modern' way seems to be
to use a metal pole attached at either end just beyond where the
lintel would stop and the curtains all have metal rings fitted
the slide along the pole.

I had that and the screws kept pulling out due to a section of wall at
each end that was seemingly made of cheese.

I no longer have any problems since I shortened the pole slightly ...
and screwed it straight into the Catnic! It's never going anywhere now.

SteveW

But interstitial condensation could have a nasty effect on your
lintel unless you squirted some spray-grease into the hole to
protect it.