Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucas control box problem?

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

You need to check how much current is being drawn from the battery with
everything off. On a basic Morris Minor, probably zero is correct. But on
most modern cars something like 40mA or so is normal.

No radio fitted and yes, the current draw should be zero with everything
off. Car untouched since a 20+ mile run on Tuesday afternoon, when I
disconnected the interior light, so I'll try the starter later this
morning. With a little luck, battery will still be fully charged,
having convinced myself that current is leaking through one (or both) of
the courtesy light switches.

Those switches tend to be a pretty basic design with widely spaced
contacts when open. If they are reasonably clean, I'd be surprised if they
could 'leak'.

But no point in guessing. A decent DVM will measure any quiescent current
flow accurately.

BTW, one of those battery disconnect devices is very useful when working
on car electrics. It fits between a battery post and cable (normally in
the ground lead), so easy to fit. Has a wheel you unscrew by hand to
disconnect the battery. Also makes measuring that current easy.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.