Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Paging Leon and Other Domino Users!

On 5/2/18 3:58 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2018 22:54:19 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

The more tenon joinery I do the more I realize how tedious it all is and
how long it takes to set up and actually construct the joints.
I mean, from a woodworker's standpoint, the process is rewarding and
even therapeutic. That's part of the enjoyment we get from woodworking,
right?
But as a businessman, I'm not interested "enjoying the journey." I want
to enjoy the paycheck. Time is money and I don't want to waste either
when doing client work.

On my latest project I used a doweling jig that is *supposed* to center
the holes perfectly on the stock. However, no matter how careful I am
with it, it never seems to end up with two boards perfectly aligned to
one another. I always end up planing or sanding the get a perfectly
flush seem.

The question I need answered before I ever consider forking over a
$GRAND$ for a uni-tasking tenon cutter is, are the results perfect?
Does it result in perfectly flush alignment every time? Or is it still
a little wonky and you end us doing some sanding to make the joints flush?

I just recently watched a video, below, that was on dowel joinery. It
used a Rockler jig kit, below.

http://www.rockler.com/doweling-jig-kits

https://www.woodsmithvideoedition.co...joinery-doors/

I thought about this, knowing the alignment problems you discussed,
and thought about it all because of a new one time doweling jig tool
of high price which has the same malady as most other dowel jig tools,
that being that they do their best to center it on the boards you are
using.

Well, duh, not all 3/4 boards are the same in every respect. So I did
some thinking on this.

The Rockler jigs do not "center" the dowels, the put it "X/x" of an
inch from the edge. and you buy a 1/4", 3/8",and 1/2" jig specifically
for the dowel. The markings for alignment are the easiest of any to
see as you are looking through a stable Plexiglas piece that you clamp
to the board. And while it is designed for two dowels it is easy to
modify it for three or four dowels, the video shows that.

The only thing one has to remember is to use it on the same side for
all pieces. Say like for a FF, mark only the backside of each piece,
or the face side. Then depending on dowel slop, you might want to use
a spring clamp or similar at each joint to be sure the pieces stay as
aligned as possible.

No matter how one looks at it, it sure is better than messing with
mortise machine.

YMMV

For sure on the mortiser, but I don't think it would be any faster than
what I have now.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)