Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Paging Leon and Other Domino Users!

On 5/2/18 1:22 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/1/2018 10:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The more tenon joinery I do the more I realize how tedious it all is and
how long it takes to set up and actually construct the joints.
I mean, from a woodworker's standpoint, the process is rewarding and
even therapeutic.Â* That's part of the enjoyment we get from woodworking,
right?
But as a businessman, I'm not interested "enjoying the journey."Â* I want
to enjoy the paycheck.Â* Time is money and I don't want to waste either
when doing client work.

Exactly

On my latest project I used a doweling jig that is *supposed* to center
the holes perfectly on the stock.Â* However, no matter how careful I am
with it, it never seems to end up with two boards perfectly aligned to
one another.Â* I always end up planing or sanding the get a perfectly
flush seem.

The question I need answered before I ever consider forking over a
$GRAND$ for a uni-tasking tenon cutter is, are the results perfect?
Does it result in perfectly flush alignment every time?Â* Or is it still
a little wonky and you end us doing some sanding to make the joints
flush?

Are results perfect? Probably not perfect, but better than any method I
have used in the past.Â* The Domino basically works like a plate
joiner/biscuit cutter.Â* BUT the Domino is built to last and much more
exacting standards.

Because the machine is portable it will depend on you if you use the
correct technique to cut mortises.Â* Like anything else really.Â* If you
pay attention and use the machine correctly yo will get great results.

Things to insure better results.

ALWAYS use the fence to reference off of the work's surface.Â* I have
seen the Domino being used with the bottom of the machine as the
reference.Â* Because debris can get under the work or the machine this
can throw alignment off.Â* When using the fence you have a clear view to
insure that no debris will throw off alignment.

A warped, non perfectly flat board being mated to dissimilar board will
introduce a problem regardless of what machine you are using.

BUT using the Domino fence to reference on a warped board is still
better than cutting the mortise on the same board using the bottom of
the Domino as a reference.

There are indexing pins on the Domino ,to reference mating mortises, I
never use them for that purpose.Â* I simply elongate the mating mortise
to give myself wiggle room.

If you get the Domino you will likely use it for much more you are
thinking now.Â* I did, some 10,000+ mortises later.

One of the guys at Woodcraft said the same thing about cupped boards.
He said that's the only time it's ever *not* dead-on.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--