Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Rental company wants details.

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 2 May 2018 09:59:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/2/2018 9:53 AM, micky wrote:
For the first time renting a car, I damaged it. Just scuffed the paint
on a front corner (thought probably would have dented it if it weren't
made of plastic).

When I returned it, the employee asked for details of how it happened.
Is this typical?

Even after I told him I hit a post and no other car was involved? Even
though the post is 6" thick and I didn't damage it either?

They have to fill in the blanks on the form. Also want to be sure it
was not a pedestrian you hit and the police will impound the car.

I have to think back. No, no pedestrian. It was actually a 3' 6"
diameter post meant to keep cars from driving onto the sidewalk. (It
was a T-intersection, I was in the center-line of the T, and there was a
sidewalk ahead of me.) I started to turn left, noticed that even though
there was no sign, the oncoming traffic was in one lane and all coming
toward me, so turned right instead, but by this time I was so close to
the post I coudln't see it.

I think this was partly because I'd had their smallest car for 5 weeks
and only got a bigger one a week earlier. With the smaller car, i
would have made the turn. But I had seen that coming and I told myself
over and over, the car is bigger. Probably kept me from several other
accidents but not this one.