DaveG

Default Electrical Subpanel

"Jeff Dantzler" wrote in message
news:1071865541.735274@yasure...
DaveG wrote:
In addition to the suggestions already made, I believe the NEC would
require you to install a ground rod, and bond the neutral and ground

bars in
your sub panel. Double check the exact NEC, though.
Dave

This is not true. The right way to run a subpanel is to run four

conductors:
2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Buy a good panel and also buy a separate
ground bus for that model panel. SquareD QO is good quality.

Bond the incoming ground to the ground bus (and the case of the panel.)
Do NOT bond the ground to the neutral in a subpanel. It is okay to bond

the
subpanel ground to a proper grounding rod located close to the subpanel,
but it also must be bonded to the incoming ground.

The neutral should be kept separate from the ground in subpanels. Only

bond them
at the service entrance.

People will disagree what constitutes a "service entrance". To play it

safe,
consider the service entrance to be the one main panel connected to the

meter.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

I think it is true, he appears to be installing a sub panel in a building
which is unattached to the building that houses the main panel, and these
buildings do not have anything like metal pipes running between them. If
this assumption is true, then the NEC requires the installation of a ground
rod, and requires the neutral bus be bonded to the ground bus.
If my assumption on the setup of these 2 building is wrong, then I stand
corrected. This is why the original poster needs to check with the local
electrical authority in his area. Get the right info based on your
particular situation, and go from there.
Dave