Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default The trouble with being DIY Minded

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 4:34:49 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
...is that you notice things that others should fix.

The pub toilets with pipe clips missing - soon the pipe will get pulled
off.
The doors that don't close properly.
The push down taps that need fixing.
The dirty extractor fan louvres.
The groaning car door.
The weeds in the block paving.
Kitchen cupboard doors that need adjusting.
Door closers that don't.
Lamps that need replacing.
Overhanging shrubs and trees.
Drives that need sweeping
Floodlights that dazzle.
Redundant TV aerials needing removing.

etc.

People just seem to accept that things are the way they are.

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

When LCD displays started to become the norm it was obvious that a lot of people just kept their CRT display resolution, so they're running a 1024 x 760 display at 800 x 600 or whatever; so I'd show them the improvement when running at the native resolution and bask in the admiration (apart from the miserable buggers who complained that "everything looks smaller...").

On holiday in Italy one year the sunbeds in the apartment complex had face shades held in place by friction in the bolts; needless to say they were all loose so one chap from the Netherlands was wandering about with an adjustable spanner tightening everything up. "Do you always bring your tools on holiday?" I joked. "Oh yah, you know what this Italian stuff is like" he answered. To be fair, he had driven there so probably had a tool kit with him anyway.