Edwin Pawlowski

Default has anyone used hydro-sil electric heaters?

"X" wrote in message

Not to sound like I'm selling product for them, but here's a link to
their website www.hydrosil.com

The hydrosil units cost a whole lot more than a regular electric
heating register. I've got a portable electric heater with a radiator
that operates on the same princliple as the hydrosil but it doesn't
seem to heat larger rooms.

Steve

At first view, the product seems good and well made. You have to look at
the whole picture though.

They make the statement that they de-stratify the temperature in a room
making it feel more comfortable. This may be true if it is below a window
and it counteracts some of the draft often felt there. The longer length of
the unit compared to most portable units is a plus for that.

They state up to 50% savings. They don't give details, but, read between
the lines.The statement that they have "room to room technology" is vague.
One advantage of electric heat is that each room is a zone. Each room can
be set to a temperature suitable to its purpose. I have two bedrooms now
rarely used. I'd have the heat way down there, not as easily done with other
forms of heat.

The variable wattage may also be a help compared to the off/on cycles of
most space heaters.

Is your original electric heat still in service? You may want to use that to
supplement the gas heat by keeping the occupied rooms a bit warmer and
setting the thermostat for the rest of the house back 5 or 10 degrees.
Consider programmable thermostats if you don't have them. It is nice to
have the bathroom heat come on 15 minutes before you sit on the throne in
the AM.

My opinion? I'd proceed with caution. I'd consider other heat management
solutions but if I had a problem room, I'd try other methods first. 1500
watt of heat is 1500 watt of heat. The $200 price difference for a heater
will buy a lot of gas or electric.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
..