Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Maplin website will be closed

On 30/04/2018 16:18, wrote:
On Monday, 30 April 2018 15:58:36 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Maplin - when they were a serious electronics supplier - were at the
forefront of fast mail order. First by phone and then via their website.

Don't forget Computer Assisted SHopping by TELephone :-)

(And Distel from Display Electronics)

But before that, they had a high street presence. Perhaps at the poor end
of the street, but there nevertheless.

Their stated strategy, when they started opening shops, was secondary trading areas with lower rents, with high footfall and parking.

I can see why they had a shop in Dalry Road, Edinburgh, but I don't think that moving into the new unit between TK Maxx and Waitrose in Stirling was particularly sensible, even if Waitrose customers possibly buy they children an above-average number of radio-controlled cars and educational kits.

Back when they had a great range of components and actually had plenty
of stock of them, the position on Oxford Road in Manchester was ideal -
out of the centre, but right by Manchester Polytechnic (later Manchester
Metropilitan Univeristy) and with Manchester University and UMIST just a
short walk away - 10s of thousands of students. Once they moved away
from components, that location wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

SteveW