Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default The Maplin website will be closed

Maplins big mistake was to open high street stores. They obviously did not
look at history and see what happened to Tandy. Tandy used to sell a lot of
good stuff. I bought one of their cassette decks and it was the best one I
ever owned. dead now of course as it actually wore out in the end.
However you could buy almost anything electronic based there, including
transistors and toys.
The high rents and rates on high streets scuppered it and this and the
Internet scuppered Maplin as well aas to some extent Comet who hoped that
selling large appliances would be lucrative of course.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

In message , Huge
writes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staples_Corner

That takes me back! There was another one in that area, known as
Gastetner Corner, but I cannot remember where, exactly.

Wasn't that just a cheap copy? ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK