Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trailer. Hub or stud centric wheels?

On 29/04/2018 18:00, T i m wrote:

A conical / rounded wheel-nut face and mating dished_wheel_socket
means that the wheel could be 'stud centric' and may or may not also
have an interference fit at the hub (and if it does it's likely to be
more tolerant to high shock loads like hitting the kerb etc).

A flat faced nut / stud is very likely to be hub-centric as there
would be no other way to ensure the wheel was mounted concentrically.

Agreed.

If you ever bolt two things together where the mating faces are
basically flat and the bolt holes offer reasonable clearance, I would
say you could make one move compared with the other (holding one in
the vice and hitting the other with a hammer at 90 degrees to the
joint) more easily than you could pull one away from the other?

Interestingly, many years ago I needed to replace both half-shafts
(don't ask!) on my 1938 Morris 8, and was given a pair of shafts from an
older model. My originals had flanges which were a tightish fit on the
wheel studs but the older model must have had shouldered studs because
the flange holes were much bigger - "prick in a shirt-sleeve" fit on my
wheel studs. Anyway, I centered them on the studs and then fitted the
wheels and tightened the wheel nuts. On subsequent wheel removals there
was never any evidence of movement, so the clamping force must have been
sufficient to hold it all together.
--
Cheers,
Roger