Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Builders and electrics PT2

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 09:19:20 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 28/04/2018 21:22, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 06:19:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 11:06:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 27/04/2018 21:43, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/04/2018 12:31, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/04/2018 01:47, Fredxx wrote:

8

Good grief. I'd expect a transformer like that to have a thermal
fuse
inside the winding which would rupture long before the
transformer
overheated.

That was my thought, and I thought there was a requirement for
one.
If
not there ought to be.

The EU requires one but don't worry when we leave we can go back to
not
having them.

Only an idiot Remoaner would contemplate such.

Lievers are the ones that say we are going to make cheaper stuff, how
are
we going to do that without ignoring safety?

By only doing the stuff that matters safety wise
and not all the other bull**** the EU also requires.

Perhaps you would care to be specific?

Most obviously with shutting down coal fired power
generation, the maximum power of vacuum cleaners etc.

I was at Longannet when they were putting the failed sulphur capture
systems in. The coal fired stations need phasing out, nothing wrong
there.

Apart from global warming sulphur dioxide plus rain = acid.

I too wasn't impressed by the EU poking it's nose into vacuum's. I
bought a miele 2kW in Ireland just before the ban. I would swear by
it, it's a fantastic cleaner and probably at the limits of useful
power as it sticks to the floor at full whack.

Brexiteers fail to understand that advances require a push.

Not by unelected bureaucrats that don’t have
a ****ing clue about anything at all, it doesn’t.

Vacuums were stagnating and just produced more noise and heat than they do
now.

Bull****. My Ryobi 2KW wet and dry does a
hell of a lot better job than what it replaced.

The Sebo 1400W one I bought 6 years ago was just as powerful as the 2kW
ones.

Bull****.

I found exactly the same thing.

Actually the 1.4kW has a smaller suction opening on the floor cleaning
tool, so the thing has far mure suction than my 2kW

The difference was better design.

The consumers should be free to buy what they decide
performs better. No unelected bureaucrat should be able
to tell them what they can't buy with vacuum cleaners.

They are free to buy what rubbish they want now. I would hazard a
guess that for those that want power there are 3 phase units
available.

One has only to look at the number of "cordless" vacs on the market to
see how dim consumers are.

Idiots cannot simply be penalised for wastage by the cost of power as
there are a lot of people who struggle to pay for even the basics such
as heat & light.

If consumers don't behave responsibly and waste energy, then I would
happily vote for the EU if it stood for election in my town.

Everything that I used to/ wished to buy that was banned under EU regs
seems to be available on Ebay anyway, apart from looking up powerful
vac's [when I bought my Karcher] and sodium chlorate, I got to
thinking, did some research and decided that the "outlawed" items were
a complete waste.

These things affect others incidentally, not just the consumer buying
them.

British designed vacs were cr@p by comparison.

Consumers should be free to buy
what they like with vacuum cleaners.

At least they are now competing.

In fact you can still buy the best performing vacs as long as you
arent in the EU and Britain will be able to once it leaves too.

You can buy them in Britain now. Don't mistake power input for
performance.

Buying 500W/h of power from your local power company merely to wake
your neighbours up in the morning is not improved performance.

Now doubt the ardent Brexiters will also find that they can buy none
EU approved two foot exhausts for the Fiesta, making it instantly
"more powerful".

I bought a Karcher WD3 Wet and dry, lower power [1400W], that is just as
powerful. Had the WD3 been going when I bought the Miele, it would have
been the preferred purchase.

The last vac I bought was 1200w and it is by far the best from a suction
point of view, but it is a Bosh GAS25 so it should.

Its just proof that reducing the power requirements hasn't stopped vacs
from performing but it has driven a lot of cr@p one off the market.

Irrelevant to whether some unelected bureaucrat should have
any say what so ever on what vacuum cleaner you can buy.

Someone needs to act with a common voice on these issues. The effect
on one, two or even a few thousand consumers isn't great, but when an
entire continent acts it reduces the need for fossil fuels and reduces
stress on families and colleagues.

If Britain didn't like the imposition, then we do have MEP's.

Perhaps you should ask Farage how he voted on energy issues:-)

AB