Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp Proofing Garage Floor

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 07:51:59 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim K wrote:

"polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), which are known
carcinogens and have been reported to cause serious health
complications in humans. Generally, these same VOCs also cause
the pungent odors which assault the olfactory senses of anyone
near recently built asphalt road or tar roof (Modified Bitumen,
or Coal Tar)."

I have always liked the smell of fresh tarmac, but seeing some
being laid recently it seemed far less pungent. Has the recipe
changed, or are my aged nostrils less sensitive?

Chris

It's bitumen rather than coal tar or petroleum pitch. Tar & pitch pong if hot, I use cold bitumen in paraffin solvent indoors, no whiff issue.

NT