Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trailer. Hub or stud centric wheels?

On 28/04/2018 19:47, T i m wrote:

In contrast, 'stud centric' wheels rely on the friction generated by
the clamping force of the fastenings to allow the load to be
transferred to the hub, not requiring (or even having) and contact
between the vertical edge of the wheel hole and the hub. This is fine
if that's how they were designed but not a good thing to do if they
weren't. I think this is one of the reasons why many aftermarket
wheels come with Spigot Ring / adaptors.

But these adapters are usually made of plastic. I don't know how much
load they would take. AIUI, their purpose is to locate the wheel so it's
concentric with the hub - but you still need the clamping force of the
studs to support the vertical load and to transmit drive (not on a
trailer) and braking torques.
--
Cheers,
Roger