Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Protecting outdoor bolts

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
wrote:
I just checked the insert nuts and barrel nuts (everything else is
stainless steel) and they are zinc plated. Does this mean that the
galvanising spray won't add anything to it?

I was thinking that ideally I would have something I could paint on the
barrel nuts before inserting and then maybe pour into the hole once
tigtened. The insert nut is more tricky as even if I paint it it is
likely to scrape off when putting into the wood and also when the thread
bar is inserted. Better than nothing I guess but not ideal. I could pour
something down the thread I guess but would this have any real impact
given thread itself is stainless steel

If you want to prevent the threads seizing through rust, use a thread
sealer. For car engines, etc.

Or the exact opposite - coppaslip.
--
Jim K