Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Resetting service warning lights

On 28/04/2018 00:32, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/04/2018 22:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/04/2018 22:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/04/2018 21:37, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/04/2018 20:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars,
but I have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would
put the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will
be serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't
deploy.

Many don't deploy for any number of reasons.

Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem
if it exists.

Can you cite the statute?

Construction and use says some cars have to have airbags and that they
have to have working warning systems.

Yes, some cars have to built with features. Disabling them afterwards
doesn't mean it is illegal to drive the car.

The current VW emissions fiasco is a prime example. Is it now illegal
for VW owners to drive their cars? Have you seen any prosecutions.

Hence why I asked for a statute, which you will simply be unable to
provide.

It would also be illegal to drive the car in the UK AIUI as it
wouldn't legally pass an MOT.

Again, construction and use is a separate consideration to the MOT.
Can you cite the statute that makes it illegal to drive a car with
the air-bag light disabled?

Do you think its legal to drive a car that you know will fail the MOT?
They can prove you know if the fault has been cleared without the
diagnostics being run. Just because you have an MOT doesn't mean its
legal to drive a car.

Most unrepaired faults, even if temporarily cleared, will simply turn
the relevant warning light back on.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you know why it came on you don't know if the
airbag will deploy when it should or if it will deploy when it
shouldn't. You would look pretty stupid if it went off while you were
doing 70 on the motorway or leaning over to clean the screen.

Just think of why they require a warning lamp.

You do know what a 'warning' is? Don't you? A hint, it's a 'warning'.

Is driving a car with an ignition warning light on illegal? What's the
crime?

I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.
Anyone that equates an engine warning light with an airbag or ABS or
steering warning light is just too stupid to bother with.
As a hint some warning lights fail the MOT some don't.
Some are a legal requirement some aren't.

If you remove some equipment from a car it is no longer legal others it
is still legal you don't appear to know the difference.