Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Craftsman Chopsaw

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:45:39 PM UTC-4, Joseph Smiga wrote:
I purchased a used Craftsman Work Station that I enjoy using. It is the
work bench that revolves and locks into place so I can choose using the
chop saw, scroll saw, or belt sander. When using the 10" chop saw I
discovered the wood saw dust was not entering the dust bag. I cleared
the chute but still the sawdust would end up everywhere else. An neighbor
told me the impeller is not working causing the problem. I studied the
parts manual but could not locate anything that seemed to be an impeller.
Any suggestions?

Dust collection systems on miter saws are notoriously terrible. They have been
the bane of woodworkers since their invention. I have never heard of an
impeller in any miter saw. I'd sure like to know what your neighbor is talking
about.

Owners have tried everything from cardboard boxes to custom made hoods to
shop vac attachments. Do a Google Image search for 'miter saw dust collection'
to see the various rigs that people have tried.

Newer models are better than older ones but still far from great.

Unless it's a Kapex, of course.