Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Protecting outdoor bolts

"FMurtz" wrote in message
FMurtz wrote:
wrote:
Hi All

I am restoring a bench where all the metal fixings had rusted. Some
joints have large barrel nuts and bolts and others bolts and inset nuts.

I was thinking of putting something on them before refitting to try and
protect them. I had a few thoughts...
- use something like vasaline but guess the oil would ingress into the
wood.
- paint them before they go in.
- given they are all M8 the rust is probably superficial anyway so only
need to deal with the thread to tighten if necessary at some other
point.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prolong the life of this?

Nickel or bronze anti seize all over the thread

I think my computer has invisible letters in it because everything I type
is ignored so must be invisible,It must be because it originates in
Australia and can not be read in the UK

Thats because they can't read stuff upside down, stupid {-(

Other than stainless or galvanized bolts and even with, my suggestion of
nickel or bronze anti seize is probably one of the best solutions.

Not that cheap to try tho.