Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default 3D Printer Recommendation?

On 26/04/2018 16:16, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/04/2018 12:34, Nightjar wrote:
On 25/04/2018 14:23, David wrote:
Having just read an interesting "What I did with my 3D printer"
thread, I
wondered which 3D printers DIYers used, and why.

A quick look online seems to show printers in the £200-£400 range so
there
would have to be a significant saving to cost in for making one off
parts.

I can understand the "Uh, duh, because 3d printing!". Just wondering if
anyone has cost justified a purchase on the savings over buying stuff or
throwing away something as unrepairable.

Anything I've seen in that price range seems to have quite poor
resolution. I would put them in the because I love gadgets category.

The ~£99 ones ebay have the same resolution as the £1000 ones in general.

I was thinking more of something like the Ultimaker 2+, which is nearer
two grand.

You only get a significantly better resolution when you go for a resin
printer using a laser and UV resins.

I would expect a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2mm layer height even from a £99
printer and you can probably replace the nozzle with a 0.25mm one.

I've not seen any that offer better than 350-400 microns layer height.
The Ultimaker 2+ can get down to 20 microns and includes a 0.8mm nozzle.
It will also work with much more useful materials than PLA, such as ABS,
nylon and polypropylene.

Colin Bignell