Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Watch on left or right hand?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 22:18:45 +0100, NY wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
My old phone would barely last the waking hours of the day (ie between
being
removed from charge and going back on charge) if I left wifi turned on,

Er.... doesn't Wifi turn on as you use it then go off again?

No, GPS, wifi and mobile data are features that you can choose to enable or
disable. It's useful sometimes to turn on just mobile data and not wifi, to
force any WAN connections (web, email) to go by mobile, because if both wifi
and mobile are turned on, the phone usually (always?) uses wifi in
preference, maybe because that isn't usually subject to a low monthly usage
limit.

How absurd. I leave mine all off, then when I try to access the internet, it switches one on until I'm finished with it.

All three seem to drain the battery to some extent even if they are not
explicitly being used, though not as quickly as if a package is constantly
requesting a GPS fix or transferring data.

Do you leave your house lights on all the time so you don't have to bother turning them on? Do you leave your car engine running all the time?

and
GPS and/or mobile internet would drain the battery in a few hours if left
on
for more than just the precise time I needed them. My new phone lasts
fine
with GPS, wifi and mobile internet left on 24/7, for a similar 8 AM to 10
PM
time off charge.

Not an Apple then. Every iphone user I know is constantly asking if they
can charge their phone somewhere.

Why does that not surprise me? :-) Apples must have some redeeming
features,

They're shiny. That's about it.

but they do seem to be very prescriptive in what you can and can't
do (with "how do I do X" being answered with "why on earth should you even
want to do X") and they invent their own network protocols (Apple Airprint)
and connectors (Apple Lightning) (which may be better, but they are unique
to Apple).

Incompatibility means more money paid to them when you need to do something. Or if the user has any sense, they change to another company.

I much prefer Windows for a "real" computer and Android for a
phone/tablet.

Agreed, although I'd probably buy a Windows phone if only to make it similar to my PC. I just happen to be given my neighbour's previous Androids from his stupidly expensive contract, as he gets a new one every 2 years.

Shame that Win 10 is becoming more and more dumbed-down and Apple-like.

Agreed, although it has a long way to go to be as dumb as an Apple OS.

I went on a night-school course on digital photography at the local college,
and all the class computers were Apples. A significant portion of each
lesson was taken up with people asking "I know how to do this on Windows,
but how do I do it on Apple" instead of actually learning about the specific
photographic package.

When I was a schoolkid, I had a substitute teacher looking after my computing class, and she would ask me the exact opposite. When I showed her what to do, she was surprised at how much more intuitive it was in Windows. After a couple of years she stopped using Apples.

I think there was something wrong with the software that was running on
my
old phone (though I don't know what) because when my wife had to borrow
it
for a few months between breaking her own phone and getting a new one,
she
wiped it and set it up with her config and therefore her set of apps, and
it
lasted a lot longer.

You must have had a program running constantly accessing the internet.

That's what I reckon. I wish I could have found out what it was. Whatever it
was didn't carry over onto the new phone when all my settings and
user-selected apps from the old phone were installed on the new one.

There's no way anyone would design a phone which didn't turn the wifi off
as soon as you stopped using the browser.

I'm not sure whether the phone maintains a connection to the router. It's
difficult to tell without rebooting the router, because a router's list of
known computers (its DHCP list) lasts even after a computer disconnects or
is turned off.

Doesn't it tell you the timestamp of when it last communicated? I think mine does, but I can't access it without the password, which is in a drawer somewhere at the other end of the house. I haven't accessed it for years, I think the last time was to persuade it to allow P2P connections through to download films illegally.

It is plausible that wifi has a fairly short timeout and reconnects
immediately any app needs to access either the internet or another computer
within the house.

--
The "new labour" government has just announced that they are changing their party emblem from a red rose to a condom, as they believe it most accurately represents the governments political stance.
A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks and gives you a false sense of security when you're actually being screwed.