Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Any dehumidifier gurus out there?

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 25/04/2018 15:20, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 24/04/2018 20:35, Tim+ wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
On 24/04/2018 19:24, Andrew wrote:
On 24/04/2018 16:22, wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 11:36:30 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
I've got a dehumidifier, a few years old now. Recently I've been
getting
the 'defrost' warning light on all the time, supposedly indicating that
either the ambient tempoerature is too low (it isn't) or that the air
filter is clogged (it isn't).

The fan and compressor run apparently normally, but the unit is no
longer
collecting any significant amount of water. I've opened up the unit
while
running, and it's copper cooling coils feel about room temperature.

The model is a B&Q-branded WDH-610HA (see
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AFCMTXO)

Any ideas what's wrong, please, and if it's fixable?

Thanks

If the cold side of the coil (on the air intake) isn't getting cold
after the compressor has been running for several minutes then it's
lost its refrigerant gas and is not realistically repairable. The
outlet side coil never gets cold of course.

NT

It might be the solenoid that reverses the warm gas flow to melt the ice
on the cooling coils has failed. I would investigate this and try and
disable it before assuming the gas has gone.

This is now my 30 yo ebac homedry works. There is a 555 timer that
triggers for 5 mins, once an hour to operate a solenoid that backfires
warm gas through the cold coils melting any ice.

when I took it to Fiji I phoned ebac and they said because the
heat and humidity would be so high I could just pull the spade
connector off the solenoid and allow it to drip into the
container all the time.

Lack of gas would have been my first guess too, I wondered if there is a
charging point compatible with the cans you can get for car aircon.

But I think this is a very good call, and it is what I would look at first.

Filling a machine that has an unidentified leak with a random
refrigerant doesn't sound very clever to me.

Tim

There is no positive evidence of a gas leak that we are aware of (yet).

It could be a failure of the mechanism that prevents or deals with
ice on the condensers that has failed.

Well the cooling coils aren?t getting cold so *either* it?s leaked *or* it
got an electrical problem. In both cases refilling randomly is a daft
idea.

Tim

The cooling coils on my ebac homedry will never get cold if the solenoid
remains activated, even though it doesn't need re-gassing.

So you think re-gassing is a good idea? Sorry but I don't
understand the point you're trying to make...

I'm only pointing out that re-gassing with a non-specifically
refridgerant, even if possible, is pointless without knowing
whether it's leaked or not. Almost certainly not cost-effective
to go down this route.

Tim