Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Why are motors not current limited?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 04:08:51 +0100, Bob wrote:

On 4/23/2018 11:18 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
One sepentine belt and tensioner -$150

Obviously you do your own repairs. Good for you but if you don't have your own shop and a decent set of tools, the economics change drastically.

Back when I used to have one of those ****ing engines that would self-destruct when the timing belt broke, the cost to replace the belt (parts and labor) was very near $900...and I could never find a competent shop to do it cheaper. And the damn belts
had to be changed every 60,000 miles.

Are you saying snapped timing belts is no longer a problem? I thought most modern engines hated a snapped belt (they're called "interference engines").

FWIW, around here car repair shops are a rip-off. Much better to have the cars under warranty so the manufacturer has to deal with their crooked dealerships repair bill.

Which is why I buy my own parts to avoid their crooked markup. Their profit should be clearly in the labour charge, not the parts.

--
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?